- A standard interpreting day consists of at least four hours and no more than eight hours with a one-hour lunch break. Overtime beyond eight hours is reckoned in fifteen-minute units. An interpreting half-day can be a morning extending as late as 12:30pm or four hours in the afternoon. A job lasting beyond four hours or one that extends from morning hours into afternoon hours is considered a full interpreting day.
- Simultaneous interpreting work needs to be done in teams of two for half days and teams of three for full days. Consecutive interpreting requires only a single interpreter for a half-day job but a team of two for a full day.
- Please inquire about jobs with special conditions, such as those in restricted areas, those in very early morning or late-night hours, and those necessitating extensive advance preparation or involving multiple languages.
- Diplomatt serves greater Tokyo–including Kanagawa, Chiba, and Saitama prefectures–at our standard rates. Jobs involving travel outside of this general area (roughly further than 100 km from Tokyo station) may need to be regarded as long distance work. We will be happy to provide estimates on request.
All associated fees, apart from transportation and lodging, are subject to an 8% consumption tax. The cost of additional equipment that may be required for some simultaneous interpretation jobs is not included in the above rates.
Simultaneous Interpreting typically requires a booth (either complete enclosure type or desktop type), microphones, headphones, and electronics for transmitting and receiving.
We recommend (and can provide) the preferred FM simultaneous interpreting system which allows for clear audio and can be quickly installed and removed. These are easy light-weight systems typically used by major hotels and convention centers.
- The digital infrared systems provide maximum confidentiality and high quality sound. They also have built-in components that resist outside interference.
- We can provide either full enclosed booths or on-desk units, whichever is most appropriate to the situation.
- We will gladly generate estimates for the commission of any additional equipment that the job might require.